Il Duomo

La chiesa, eretta tra XII e XIII secolo, in stile romanico pugliese, è dedicata al culto del patrono, S. Corrado di Baviera. Caratterizzano la struttura tre cupole in asse e due torri, l’una campanaria e l’altra, d’avvistamento, che guarda il mare. Sulla facciata a Sud, la più antica, è visibile lo stemma del vescovo di Molfetta che nel 1484 diventò Papa col nome di Innocenzo VIII e, in alto a destra, una piccola meridiana. L’abside, secondo un tipico sistema pugliese, è chiusa da un muro continuo interrotto da una finestra con decorazioni in caratteri cufici e leoni stilofori. Archi ciechi si intrecciano in un motivo di gusto arabo. Le cappelle laterali risalgono al XV- XVI secolo. L’interno, vasto e suggestivo, è suddiviso in tre navate; quella centrale è dominata da tre cupole di diversa altezza: la più antica e decorata è sul transetto. I capitelli dei quattro pilastri cruciformi sono scolpiti con motivi zoomorfi, antropomorfi e vegetali. Risalente al XII secolo, l’acquasantiera, detta del saraceno, posta a destra dell’ingresso meridionale, ci mostra un uomo dai tratti africani che regge la vasca dell’acqua. Un altorilievo in pietra detto del Redentore, del XIII secolo, fa oggi da base all’altare.

DUOMO. The church, built between the twelfth and thirteenth century, in Romanesque style, is dedicated to the worship of the patron saint, St. Conrad of Bavaria. The structure is characterized by three aligned domes and two towers, a bell tower and a watchtower which overlooks the sea. On the south façade, the oldest one, you can see the coat of arms of the bishop of Molfetta, who became Pope under the name of Innocent VIII in 1484 and, in the upper right corner, a small sundial. The apse, in a typical system from Apulia, is closed by a curtain wall interrupted by a window decorated with Kufic script and column-bearing lions. Blind arches are woven in an Arabesque pattern. The lateral chapels date back to the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. The interior is vast and impressive, and is divided into three naves; the central one is dominated by three domes of different heights: the oldest one, which is the most decorated, is on the transept. The capitals of the four cross-shaped piers are carved with zoomorphic, anthropomorphic and vegetal motifs. Dating back to the twelfth century, the holy water font, called of the Saracen, located on the right of the south entry, shows us a man of African traits that holds the water stoup. A stone high-relief called of the Redeemer, dating back to the thirteenth century, is now the altar base.

Condividi